Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Great Park.

The Great Park of Orange County, CA, is a massive undertaking by a team led by Landscape Architect Ken Smith. Though I have mixed feelings about much of the work of Mr. Smith, I think the master plan is super gnar and I genuinely appreciate his audaciousness. Last Thanksgiving my mother and I took a trip to see the "demonstration park," which is a kitschy but pleasant mini-park that Smith has constructed to whet the appetite of the public for now, as the park won't be completed for 193 more years. Landscape=Time. But the mini-park is totally radical! See below!

You can go on a free balloon ride and look out at the site! YAAAAY! Smith, in typically cheeky fashion, placed a giant North arrow path that only reads from above. Guffaw, chortle.

Due to the fact that the site is heavily paved now, there were several examples of how the landscape architects plan to reuse the concrete. When I see concrete being reused I blush and my knees shake. Here is a beautiful concrete rubble berm with grasses (Muhlenbergia rigens, I believe) on the opposite side. The execution/construction was flawless. It will be interesting to see how they age.

Here are some benches. Crack the ground plane and learn about the past. Love 'em!

And in the parking lot, as traffic guides/dividers, Smith placed many trees that will be used on the site, and kept them in their nursery containers. This will give the trees time to grow before they're installed, adapt to the local climate, etc. A nice, thoughtful touch.

And here's Patti, just messin' around.

No comments:

Post a Comment